Now what?
I recently got together with some friends from college and as I looked around I realized that I was the only one who didn't work full time. And many of them not only work, but have successful, fulfilling careers. And I was jealous. Jealous and sad and left feeling like I've wasted my intelligence, my education, and years of my life.
I made a choice not to work full time. To work a job, not a career. To spend as much time as possible with my children when they were young. I will never regret that decision. But now that they're growing I'm left with this huge, inescapable question-
Now what?
My youngest will be off to school part time in the fall and I am already starting to feel a bit lost. What do I do when my kids are in school all day? I know they will still need me, but it won't be the same as it was when they were toddlers. What will I do all day when I'm home by myself, when my reasons for being at home are no longer there?
I've been struggling a lot lately trying to figure out what I was meant to do with my life. I know I can find places to volunteer and things to do to fill my time, but the bigger question is what can I do that will be fulfilling for me? What was I designed to do? What would I be excited to do everyday, that would make the hours just fly by, and that I will leave feeling filled? And the thing is, even after 35 years of life-
I don't know.
I really, truly don't know. I know what I enjoy doing, but those things aren't necessarily the things that I'm good at. And I know what I'm good at, but I don't always enjoy those. If only those two things always hand in hand... I'd be an awesome singer/photographer if only I had the talent ;-).
I've often heard the quote:
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Great concept. And that's what I want.
If only I knew how to find it.
I made a choice not to work full time. To work a job, not a career. To spend as much time as possible with my children when they were young. I will never regret that decision. But now that they're growing I'm left with this huge, inescapable question-
Now what?
My youngest will be off to school part time in the fall and I am already starting to feel a bit lost. What do I do when my kids are in school all day? I know they will still need me, but it won't be the same as it was when they were toddlers. What will I do all day when I'm home by myself, when my reasons for being at home are no longer there?
I've been struggling a lot lately trying to figure out what I was meant to do with my life. I know I can find places to volunteer and things to do to fill my time, but the bigger question is what can I do that will be fulfilling for me? What was I designed to do? What would I be excited to do everyday, that would make the hours just fly by, and that I will leave feeling filled? And the thing is, even after 35 years of life-
I don't know.
I really, truly don't know. I know what I enjoy doing, but those things aren't necessarily the things that I'm good at. And I know what I'm good at, but I don't always enjoy those. If only those two things always hand in hand... I'd be an awesome singer/photographer if only I had the talent ;-).
I've often heard the quote:
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Great concept. And that's what I want.
If only I knew how to find it.
I was in the same place last August and I know what you're feeling. After a lot of soul-searching, I am very thankful that I don't have to pursue a career. Not many are as blessed as we are. It's time for you to seek out something for you. Happy searching.
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way...but then I got pregnant :) Just a thought...!!!
ReplyDelete