Garage Sale recap
I lived through my inaugural garage sale. I had no idea how much work those things were! It took forever to label everything and get all of the tables set up and get everything put out. It was quite the project. I did learn some things along the way...
-You do not need $100 dollars in ones for change. Like everything else in my life, I waaaay over prepared on small bills and quarters needed to make change. I maybe needed 20 ones. You also do not need 80 quarters; total overkill.
-Some people will haggle for any amount. If it says 50 cents, they will offer you 25, as if a quarter might break the bank. Ridiculous.
-Some people will also haggle with a 5 year old for a discount on a 25 cent cookie. Seriously?!? What is wrong with you people?!? She is FIVE and the cookies are a QUARTER.
-A family had their 13-ish year old daughter jump out of their SUV, run across the street to try and buy my exersaucer for $10. Ummm, no..... but I will take $15. So she runs back to the car to ask Dad what to do. Comes back and offers me $12. Umm, no... I said $15. Runs back to car to ask dad again. Comes back with money to buy. Not sure if dad is just lazy or thinks I would be more willing to bargain with a 13 year old... again... what is up with these people?
-People buy the strangest things. There were a lot of items that sold that I didn't think would, and some items that I was surprised didn't sell. A lady bought a really ugly/dated kid shirt that I had out there. I have no idea where this shirt came from, and honestly I should have been embarrassed to even be associated with it, but I threw it out there anyway. And someone actually paid money for it. It was the only thing she bought.... who knows, maybe she thought it would make a good rag.
-If it's for sale up the street for cheaper, just buy it there. Don't try to talk me down to their price because you like mine better. Don't mess with me people- I'm a tough negotiator. (And btw... she did buy mine even though it was more expensive)
-People are suckers for a cute kid with a lemonade/cookie stand.
-If you start with a mountain of stuff, there is a good chance you will still have a bunch left. I sold about half of my kid clothes, and boxed up most of it to try again next year. My girls just had way more clothes than any child should.... I'm still trying to figure out where it all came from.
-You do not need $100 dollars in ones for change. Like everything else in my life, I waaaay over prepared on small bills and quarters needed to make change. I maybe needed 20 ones. You also do not need 80 quarters; total overkill.
-Some people will haggle for any amount. If it says 50 cents, they will offer you 25, as if a quarter might break the bank. Ridiculous.
-Some people will also haggle with a 5 year old for a discount on a 25 cent cookie. Seriously?!? What is wrong with you people?!? She is FIVE and the cookies are a QUARTER.
-A family had their 13-ish year old daughter jump out of their SUV, run across the street to try and buy my exersaucer for $10. Ummm, no..... but I will take $15. So she runs back to the car to ask Dad what to do. Comes back and offers me $12. Umm, no... I said $15. Runs back to car to ask dad again. Comes back with money to buy. Not sure if dad is just lazy or thinks I would be more willing to bargain with a 13 year old... again... what is up with these people?
-People buy the strangest things. There were a lot of items that sold that I didn't think would, and some items that I was surprised didn't sell. A lady bought a really ugly/dated kid shirt that I had out there. I have no idea where this shirt came from, and honestly I should have been embarrassed to even be associated with it, but I threw it out there anyway. And someone actually paid money for it. It was the only thing she bought.... who knows, maybe she thought it would make a good rag.
-If it's for sale up the street for cheaper, just buy it there. Don't try to talk me down to their price because you like mine better. Don't mess with me people- I'm a tough negotiator. (And btw... she did buy mine even though it was more expensive)
-People are suckers for a cute kid with a lemonade/cookie stand.
-If you start with a mountain of stuff, there is a good chance you will still have a bunch left. I sold about half of my kid clothes, and boxed up most of it to try again next year. My girls just had way more clothes than any child should.... I'm still trying to figure out where it all came from.

Comments
Post a Comment