My dad worked two jobs when I was growing up.  He'd get up early in the morning and head to his full time job, come home briefly for an early dinner and then go to his part time evening job.  He wouldn't come home until we were in bed.  So during the week my mom was pretty much a single parent.  Quite honestly, I'm not sure how she did it.  I would have gone c-r-a-z-y.  There were some days when my kids were infants that I would just stare at the clock waiting for my husband to come home.  Desperately wanting to have a moment to myself and not be in charge anymore. 

I remember my mom made it look so easy.  So that's what I wanted to be; a stay at home mommy.  If my mom could do it, so could I! (I also said that about a natural, no-drug childbirth... ha!)  In reality, I don't know if I am cut out to stay home full time.  It is soooo much harder than what I ever thought it would be.  So I'm thankful that I have a job where I can work part time.  My girls have had the best care, first from a two wonderful women who loved them like they were their own and now from their amazing father.

We are fortunate that we are both currently able to work part time.  We each spend a couple of days working outside the home and stay home with the kids while the other is working.  I hope someday my girls realize how incredibly blessed they are to get to spend this much time with their dad.  He is an amazing father and will be so instrumental in shaping who they become and I am so thankful for that. Yesterday he hosted a play date for 4 of my oldest daughter's friends.  He picked a van load up from school, made them lunch, baked cookies with them and helped them make bead necklaces.  I often think he would make a better stay at home mom than I would ;-) 

Comments

Popular Posts