What would you do?

The girls and I went to Burger King for lunch today.  It's the only fast food place in town with a kid's play land, and I'm a little embarrassed that we are semi-regulars there.  When we left today Doug said "see ya next week".  Yes, I am on a first name basis with the staff, and yes, maybe we do go there a little too much.  But I digress... letting you judge me for our fast food playland habit is not my reason for posting.  Our dining company is.  I think today was the worst experience we have had there- ever.

We got there and playland was a little busy, so I asked my oldest if we could sit in the normal grown up section of the restaurant.  She of course said no (but hey a mom's gotta try, right?).  So we get into playland and sit down.  Kids are crazy, moms are reprimanding, pop being spilled, Doug coming in to mop up and make sure kids are wearing socks- just the normal, oh-so-pleasant playland experience.  Then a mom starts yelling at her kid.  I mean YELLING. "You better sit up there and eat!  You better not eat his food!  That's it we are leaving!  Sit UP!  I mean it, we're leaving!  GET UP THERE!" etc, etc.

She was with two other adults and their kids, but her kids were sitting 2 tables away from her (because sitting next to your kid would make too much sense?) and this kid was probably only 3.  She threatened him at least 12 times that they were leaving (I started keeping a count.   After the second time I forlornly realized that it was an idle threat).  Everyone in playland was staring at them and even my 5 year old was uncomfortable.  This went on for a while- she'd sit at her table and scream across the room at him, then get up and go over to him to yell, then sit back down and eat.  In another 5 minutes the cycle would repeat.  I desperately wanted to intervene.  I mean, who do I call?  What do I do?  Tell the lady that her threats obviously aren't working and that is no way to talk to a child?  Tell her to get her ass over there and sit next to her kid?  Ask the restaurant manager to tell them to leave?  I kept waiting for John Quijones to jump out with his camera crew to tell me I was on "What would you do".  I mean seriously, it was bad.  If my kids were more portable, I would have gotten up and left playland.  It was the most unpleasant experience I have had there ever.

I felt so bad for the little boy.  If she treats him like that in public, I can only imagine what happens in private.  That poor kid doesn't have a chance.  It's just so sad to see a parent treat their child that way.  A way that no one should be treated.

And believe me, I'm no perfect parent. I'm sure I've had my share of judgement passed upon me from other parents when I snap at my kids at the store.  And as we speak my daughter is begging me to go label clothes for the garage sale with her (can she not see me typing this incredibly important potentially award winning blog post here?).  Ya, definitely no mother of the year awards for me.

So maybe I shouldn't judge?  Maybe BK mom was just having a really, really bad day?  Somehow I think not.

I think we'll avoid BK for a while.  And I'll keep poor little BK boy in my prayers.  I think he may need them.
 

Comments

Popular Posts